Project: Roti


In many Indian homes the most basic staple of food is roti (flat bread). It is eaten with curry as well as variety of different foods such as pickle, chutney, raita or simply with honey or jam . To most older generation of Indian women, knowing how to make roti is a right of passage in learning to cook Indian food. It looks simple enough but it is an art form requiring practice (lots of it) and patience.



Over the years I have seen my mom make roti countless times, on occasions I have even helped cook it on the tawa/griddle. Yesterday, I made my own roti, merely four, but it took me awhile, and all those years of "watching" my mother making it did not help. Roti is suppose to be round and light, but my dough did not mix and it was a bit hard, making difficult making a round shape, which also I need a lot of practice in.

This is going to be my on going project. Over the course of next couple of weeks I am going to try and make roti everyday, hopefully in few days I will have a good hang of it, and I will post the recipe then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment